Protect Your Home From Water
July 20, 2016

What is Mold?

Mold is a type of fungus that is usually the product of decomposing dead organic material such as plants, wood and even leaves. Mold has many different undertones whether it may be damp basements, moldy carpets, water leaks, soggy drywall and even musty odors. Mold isn’t always a bad thing; Mold is responsible for yeast which is how bread, beer and wine are all made, without mold the world would be covered in leaves, trees, grass and garbage.

Mold, like humans thrive off of water and oxygen. Be aware of water problems in your home. When dealing with long term moisture it is almost inevitable and will most likely lead to mold commencement. Moisture problems will involve water satins or discoloration on walls, floors or ceilings. Moisture could also be determined by surface abnormalities such as peeling, bubbling or cracking of paint.

Usually water leaks are the main cause of water problems in homes. It is important to be sentient of any leaks in your home, such as leaking pipes or leaking ceilings. Even though you may not see the mold around a leak sometimes mold can be hidden behind the surface.

Previous flooding is also a dead giveaway that mold will likely start to grow. Mold is most commonly going to begin growing where the water lingered the longest. It is possible that flood water can end up seeping in the ground around your house and spreading through the foundation into the walls and flooring. In this case mold ultimately would occur again.

It is imperative to be aware of the odors in your home, which will be a sign of mold if you don’t physically see anything. Often the only clue you will have will be a moldy smell. If your allergy problems seem to worsen when you are home that is another sign of mold. Symptoms may include the similar allergic reactions such as sore eyes, runny nose/nasal congestion and even sneezing. You may also experience toxic symptoms such as headaches, trouble concentrating, shortened attention span, memory loss and dizziness. Mold can very toxic and will poison you if you are not aware.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *